Weight gain during menopause is inevitable among most women. Its common to hear menopausal women say that they gained about 10 to 15 lbs and its usually around the stomach area. Even if you haven’t changed your eating or exercise habits, you may gain weight. So, if you find yourself going through menopause and gaining that extra 10-15 pounds, don’t fret, because you certainly are not alone. However, it doesn’t mean you just have to sit back and accept it either. But just how to lose weight after menopause?
What causes weight gain during menopause?
There are many factors that cause a woman to gain weight while shes going through menopause and the different stages of it. If you are wondering how to lose weight after menopause, it helps to know why we gain the weight in the first place.
- Less activity. During menopause, many women become less active. This is often because their bodies are going through so many changes that they often are fatigued and don’t feel up to exercising. It is common sense that when your activity level decreases but your calorie intake remains the same, you will gain weight menopause or not.
- Metabolism slows down. This happens as people age so its not necessarily directly related to menopause, but it is known to be one of the factors.
- Hormonal havoc. Lets face it, during menopause your hormones are going a little crazy. There are so many changes going on. The main hormonal issue is the change in estrogen levels and this is known to have a direct relation to weight gain during menopause.
- Thyroid. While it hasn’t been fully researched, it is believed that menopausal women often have slower thyroids, which causes weight gain.
How to lose weight after menopause
With all that said, you might think gaining weight during menopause is inevitable. It’s not but you’ll have to put some work into keeping those pounds at bay. Once you know how to lose weight after menopause, you can take action.
- Exercise. It was mentioned above that women tend to become less active during menopause because of the hormonal changes going on and causing them to feel fatigued. Not only is exercise good to help combat the weight gain, its also a way to help get the endorphins flowing and help combat depression which is often a symptom of menopause. Not only that, but its great for strengthening bones another important consideration at this time in your life. Exercise is a key component in how to lose weight after menopause.
- Diet. While this is common sense, its still worth mentioning. You can help fight the weight gain by eating a healthy diet of fruits and vegetables and whole grains.
- Rest. Make sure you are getting at least eight hours of sleep a night. It is known that those that sleep less than eight hours have a hard time resisting food cravings, etc. Not only will good sleep help you fight off weight gain, your body needs the sleep to reset and repair itself.
Just like other menopause symptoms, weight gain will vary from woman to woman, but with a little planning and work, you don’t have to simply accept that extra 15 pounds. How to lose weight after menopause? You can fight it, and make it through this phase of your life looking and feeling fantastic.